Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 17: It's Our Fault

I bought this shirt over the summer and I thought today would be the perfect day to wear it since we are learning about earthquakes.  New Madrid (not pronounced like the Spanish city) is a quaint little town in Southern Missouri.  We met a lovely lady there that went to school in the one room schoolhouse and worked at the school museum.  You could tell she took pride in her hometown and even showed us her report card which was protected under glass.  I love meeting people that are so open, friendly, and willing to share their story.  I bought an apron that she sewed to remember the visit.

We also visited the New Madrid Earthquake Museum while there.  Once again, we met a man that was passionate about his hometown and little museum.  I think it is interesting how people prefer different environments.  These people would not trade a large city for their small hometown.  Some people would prefer just the opposite.  I think the importance comes from making a place your own.  I hope to find a true hometown someday that I can take pride in like these people have.

No comments:

Post a Comment