Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 42: Food Brings Us Together

Lunch with dad is the best because he loves to try new places just like I do.  Our lunch dates usually include going to restaurants that are not chains and are known for their excellent food.  We will often share dishes so that we can try more. 

 
Today we went to the Half Shell in Chicago.  It is this seafood restaurant mixed with a dive bar.  We shared a fried oyster appetizer and had king crab legs.  The meal was delicious and the company was great.  I can imagine how fun this place would be in the summertime outside.
 
  After we finished our meal we walked down Clark Street to an Austrian Bakery.  It was busy with young people enjoying a warm retreat from the chilly day.  He was pretty excited about all of the baked goods and found some treats to take home.

As we were walking back to the car, he recognized a building from his past.  Although I feel like I know a lot about my dad, it is exciting to see glimpses into his younger years.  He has been through a lot in his life, and I always enjoy learning more about the little details of his experiences.  The more that I learn about him, the more I realize that he is human, and it is okay that I am too.

Also as we were walking back, I saw a banana man that I've seen before in the city.  I think the other one I saw was in Old Town, and this one is in Lincoln Park.  I have no idea what it is all about, but he looks friendly.  If anyone knows his story, I'd be curious to find out.  Perhaps he is a symbol to remind you to eat your fruits.  I've heard that a banana a day is actually better than an apple a day.  Or maybe he is a physical representation of the saying "you are what you eat."  If this is the case, I'd probably be a peanut butter and jelly toast since I have that almost everyday.
 
The afternoon ended with a few bites of tiramisu and an espresso.  Carolyn bought me this awesome espresso set, plates, and place mats.  I feel like I should have an espresso party to show off my sweet dishes.





No comments:

Post a Comment