Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 98: Amish Country

 Easter weekend calls for a trip to Grandmother's house, no matter how old I am.  We left early this morning.  Unfortuantely this cold is taking hold, but I'm going to try to make the best of it.


After we arrived it was time to head towards the cemetery and lunch.  Linda asked me to bring a rock to the gravestone, so I did.  My dad argued that it might be petrified wood that I brought while my mom insisted it was a stone.  I said granddad would know.


It may seem silly, but it is still difficult to go out to the cemetery.  I listened to my mom trying to tell my grandmother that she wanted to look into getting a plot here.  My grandmother told her there was plenty of space on the other side of the road.  My mom kept saying that she'd like to be buried on this side with all of the family.  Grandmother said she didn't know if there was space available.  I could tell that this bothered my mom.  I found myself walking back to the car losing it a bit.  It is too hard to think about death.  Anyone that knows me knows that I'm really scared of spiders, but my fear of death and the death of loved ones is nowhere near the same category.  Maybe it was because I'm not feeling well, maybe it was because I just allowed myself to think about it, all I know is pushing it out of my mind is much easier than accepting it.  


I also heard my grandmother say that my aunt Lori originally wanted to be buried in this cemetery too, but now she wants to have her ashes spread, possibly in some foreign country.  Lori, just so you know, in about 40 years when your time comes, I would be more than happy to take care of your ashes for you.  All I need is the itinerary.


After the cemetery we drove our way to Yoder's Kitchen.  Now this restaurant has the best fried chicken I have ever eaten in my life.  If you are ever in Arthur, IL, make sure you stop for some good Amish cooking.



1 comment:

  1. I got to work about 6:30 a.m. to avoid traffic and found some quiet time to read my favorite blog. I saw the pictures and read your write-up. Tears started falling and I became a blubbering fool. You have a way of reaching to the heart. Thanks for taking me home for a few short moments. Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete