Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 116: Wine Dinner

Wine dinners are awesome.  You get to sit with others, enjoy food that you prepared by an amazing chef (even if he does look young and has braces), and drink wine that is paired to provide the ultimate experience.  Catch 35 in Naperville hosts these dinners and my dad and I try to go when we can.

The menu last night consisted of the following:
Reception
Korean Lumpia Pork
spicy kimchi, sweet chili aioli
Filet Mignon Tartare
capers, onions, dill pickle, celery salt potato chip
Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009

1st Course
Thai Yellowfin Tuna Ceviche 
watermelon, Thai basil, cilantro, lime, radish
Alexander Valley Chardonnay, 2010

2nd Course
Florida Shrimp and Sweet Pea Risotto 
lemon herb vinagrette, applewood smoked bacon
Alexander Valley Pinot Noir, 2009

3rd Course
Intermezzo (raspberry sorbet)

4th Course
Braised Lamb Shank 
tomato, fava bean, and pozole ragout
Alexander Valley, Cyrus, Bordeaux Blend, 2007

5th Course
Vanilla Grits and Strawberries
whipped creme fraiche, sweet and salty popcorn
Alexander Valley, Redemption Zinfandel, 2007

It was a wonderful compilation.  I enjoyed the Korean Lumpia Pork the most and either the Cabernet or Chardonnay for wine.  

We sat across from a couple and a mother-in-law.  They were wealthier than us and had much more experience with wine than I could imagine, but they were very friendly and we had good conversation.  It is moments like this that makes me feel like I'm living life a little fuller.  It is also moments like these that make me so happy to be where I am and love the people that I do.  It was funny because at one moment I was talking about my aunts, but I accidentally said my friends.  Although some may argue that it was the wine, I think it was a Freudian slip that shows how much admiration I have for my family.  As I sat next to my dad I couldn't help but appreciate how lucky I am to have someone that is on the same page that I am.  What a wonderful evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment