Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 120: Land of Confusion

I picked today's title because I heard the Phil Collins song when I was in the car today and it seemed fitting. I'm feeling some mixed emotions tonight as I am sad about my grandmother and excited about getting my keys to my new place tomorrow.  I got a call this morning that my grandmother was in the hospital because of chest pains.  She fell very early in the morning and a couple hours later, woke my mom up at 4:00 to tell her that she needed to go in.  Now that some time has passed, we have found out that she needs surgery, but has no interest in getting it.  I talked to her on the phone and she sounded great, other than being annoyed that she had to stay in the hospital overnight.


I thought I'd take a moment to do a "grandmother and me" top 10 moments.  They are in no particular order, but here they are:
1: Learning to sew and having to turn the wheel by hand with the sewing machine until I was 10
2: Rummy gone amuck:  I think we played over 100 games in a rummy marathon one weekend
3: Dinner parties with her friends
4: Going to art classes with her
5: Picnics at Scoville
6: Camping-including the recover of Chip (a chipmunk that was saved from a horrible fate)
7: Watching Murder She Wrote Together
8: Going to the children's museum (the old one)
9: Christmas at my place with Grandmother
10: Reading The Bernstein Bears Spooky Old Tree and then going down to the flat with a stick, rope, and flashlight to find faces in the trees


I could probably make this a list of 100, but 10 will have to do now.  I'm sending good thoughts her way.

I also feel excitement about my new place.  I'm ready to settle in and get comfortable in a new area with new places to explore.  Am I a nomad?

No comments:

Post a Comment