Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 86: Roman Ruins

The day started off well with clear skies.  Our first stop was the Pont du Gard.  It is amazing to think that it was built about 2,000 years ago and it still stands strong.  I walked all around looking for the perfect angle and found it on the other side, down by the river.  While down there Linda told me to pick up some rocks.  As I bent down to grab some, I found a shard of pottery.  Maybe ancient?  Probably not, but it is a nice idea.


The temperature warmed up fast and we got back on the road to go to Uzes.  Before we reached Uzes, Janey found a winery, so we stopped in.  There is very little English spoken down there, so communication can be challenging.  We tasted several wines.  The tasting portions were quite large; about a fourth of a glass.  We bought three bottles of wine: red, white, and rose, and three glasses.  It was so wonderful.  Definitely a happy moment for the wine lovers.

We reached Uzes, but I don't think we actually found it.  The area we were in seemed much newer.  Some people were pretty hungry, so we stopped for lunch at a patisserie/boulangerie.  It was located in a roundabout, so we had to to turn around to make it back.  Provence has many roundabouts.  I think it is a great solution.  It would be nice to avoid all of these stoplights we have here.  The food was okay, but not exactly the kind of lunch I was searching for.  Sometimes when you are hungry you have to go for what is available.  It was so funny to see my Aunt Lori so happy.  At one point she sat with her bread and au pain chocolat in her lap.  She embraced it as if it had been too long since their last visit.  I think I could create a photography exhibit on people and what they love.


After are brief stint in Uzes, we went on to our last stop, Nimes.  It is a beautiful city that seems cleaner than Avignon.  The arena there is supposed to be the best preserved Roman coliseum, so that was neat to see.  We split up for awhile and I walked down the main boulevard.  We were reunited at the Monoprix as we shopped for food.


When we came home I had an espresso and au pain chocolat for a little energy boost.  After this sustenance, Christy, Janey, Linda, and I walked around and shopped for awhile.  During this time Becky and Lori stayed back at the apartment while some men worked in our courtyard.  While shopping, I bought many items including tablecloths and napkins.  Unfortunately the store was only open this one time.  He was very friendly and helpful.  Really, everyone has been friendly and helpful on this trip.


As we were walking down the main street in Avignon, I couldn't help but think that all of the guys look like guidos.  I don't know if they are watching Jersey Shore and thinking that this is the cool way to dress, but it is not attractive.  Someone should tell them.  All the kids are out on the street walking.  I suppose they don't have much homework.  


We came back from our walk to fix dinner.  We had hamburgers, salad, roasted veggies, fruit, avocado, aioli, and tapenade.  I'm a big fan of the tapenade. 


After a busy day, we decided to stay in.  Several of us drank wine and watched "Lorna Dune."  I'd never heard of it before, but I liked it.  


As I reflected on the day, I had some thoughts about the shortness of life and the lack of time available to be upset or angry.  I know some people get annoyed with optimists, but I really just want to get rid of all negativity and take in all of the good.  I think these thoughts arose because we were talking about my grandmother and how she is 87 years old.  For some reason it never occurred to me that she is aging.  I still picture her being in her 70s.  I miss my granddad and I worry about my grandmother without him.  I was trying to imagine today what holidays would be like without her.  I've never experienced that and I think it would be difficult to celebrate without doing it the right way.


I also had thoughts about Kendra.  Sometimes it is nice to get away because it truly makes me realize how much greatness there is in my life.  

I was also thinking about my mom.  I need to be nicer to her and try to spend more time with her.  I worry about her health and overall well being.  I want her to be happy.  This is what traveling does to me.  Sometimes I just need a new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment