Reclaiming Experience

This blog is a tool for recording my experiences as well as evaluating my day-to-day life. With my camera in hand, I will make meaning out of my life.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 62: Sea Creature Day

My room emitted an unpleasant odor today after a sea creature observation activity.  Rather than looking at pictures of animals and discussing their adaptations, why not go to the local grocery store to pick up some 3D science?

Watching the students' faces as they enter the room is entertaining.  The boys tend to be the most boisterous and whiny about the smell.  Apparently no one goes shopping for seafood around here.  Beyond the first shock, the students begin to observe and learn.  An octopus has a beak?  A mussel has a foot?  Oysters can change sex?  This is cool stuff.

After work I went home and took a nap.  I woke up with my headache still, but I went to see our musical anyway.  I am so glad that I did.  The kids did such a great job and it was nice to have a little escape for awhile.  It was also great to see some students from two years ago.  I find that I realize the impact I had on my students after they leave.  It is also nice to see that they actually do begin to grow up and mature.  Their brains really do fully develop.  What a relief.


No comments:

Post a Comment